M1009 problem

From: Amnon (amnon@deltaforce.net)
Date: Mon May 15 2006 - 13:59:11 PDT

Last Saturday I drove the M1009 to a show about 2hrs away. As we got closer I
heard noises that I have never heard before coming from under the vehicle. It
wasn't that loud but it kept getting louder (I wasn't aware how loud since I had
plugs in my ears).
To make along story short, when we got into the parking lot and I took the plugs
out of my ear, I heard what sounded like all main and rod bearings were going to
go. It was so loud that everyone turned their heads. I decided to drive it to the
display area, and to my surprise, when the engine was turning faster (maybe
2000rpm) the noise went away. Letting the pedal go it started again right before
it reached idle speed. I tried it a few more times, and the same results. So I
put it in first and drove the few hundred feet to the display area at higher rpm.
Evan who was driving the Unimog in thought right away that it was either the Flex
Plate or the Tourqe converter. To me it sounded like it came from the oil pan
area. Charles Talbert of M-Series Rebuild and Repower thought it was the converter
or the loose bolts, and AB Linn after crawling under thought it has to be the
converter.
My question is, did anybody heard of something like that before? The noise is real
loud, the truck goes into all gears and drives (I had it towed back home though,
didn't want to take a chance, and AAA just paid for itself a few times over).
AB Linn said that the converter on these things always gave trouble and that I
should get a civilian converter to replace it.
I am going to take the converter out and start the engine without it just to ease
my mind, but I thought I would ask here first.

Shalom Y'all
Amnon Nissan

Deltaforce
919-852-2121