Re: Cheap hydrogen fuel for diesel or gas - "Brown's gas" from water -acetone

From: Marty Galyean (marty@heavyreckoning.com)
Date: Fri May 19 2006 - 04:06:56 PDT

Patrick Jankowiak wrote:

> In a direct port-injected 2002 ford crown victoria, I have now
> completed this trial through 10 tanks of approximately that 2oz./10gal
> mix and found the mileage unchanged, that is, changed so little that I
> did not notice it by odometer and gallons. At one point I said I
> thought I had more acceleration but I believe it was either
> optomisitically subjective or the weather was cooler. To me that means
> the acetone trick is hooey in a modern car. Apparently I am already
> burning all or very nearly all my fuel because I have very nice high
> tech fuel injectors.
>
> In an old carbureted vehicle where the fuel is sloppily spewed down
> the gullet of the engine, the acetone trick might work, I have not
> tested that. The hydro scheme might work there too. I got my doubts in
> a vehicle using injection.

I've no horse in the "acetone" race, but if the weather was cooler, your
mileage will drop as the engine stays in open loop longer (typically
much richer mix). It would be more noticeable on a shorter commute (in
other words, the percentage the engine warmup is of total driving). My
commute is 5 minutes and my winter mileage drops about 3 points in the
winter because nearly the entire trip is in open loop.

It is hard to do real tests when weather is part of the eqn.

Marty