Re: WW2 lowboy with 8 tires all in a row?

From: J.Wiehe (j.wiehe@sympatico.ca)
Date: Sun Jun 25 2006 - 07:35:47 PDT

Okay, my 2 cents on this trailer.

Given the information that this more than likely is a WW2 trailer.

>From TM 9 - 2800 ( Oct. 1947 ) Page # 204.

Trailer, 20 - ton, full, low bed
Technical Manual: 5-9210

Manufacturers: Rogers Bros. Corp.; Fruehauf Trailer Co.
Classification: Limited standard.

Purpose: Used by Corps of Engineers to transport crawler mounted tractors, shovels and cranes.

Ground clearance: (in.) ...18

Brakes: Service - air Parking - hand, mechanical.

Weight ( lb ): Net - 15,220.....Payload - 40,000.....Gross 55,220

Tire size, rear 9.00 x 20, Front - 12.00 x 20 ( This would be for the converter dolly )

Towing vehicle to be used: truck, 6 ton, 6x6, or tractor

There is more but just by the mentioned 17 feet of working deck and that my manual shows 204 inches deck length

and 112 inches wide. You do the math.

I could try to scan the page but I fear it would break the spine of my manual to get all the information readable.

Hope this helps.

Jim Wiehe
j.wiehe@sympatico.ca