Military Vehicles, January 1997,: Re: M151-series body drawings, dimensions etc.

Re: M151-series body drawings, dimensions etc.

Hanno Spoelstra (H.L.Spoelstra@wbmt.tudelft.nl)
Sat, 4 Jan 1997 00:04:42 +0100

William Buonaugurio wrote:
> I know of two MVPA members in the Washington area who could help, they
>recently demilled 16 M151s (quarter cut) and had plans to sell them as "spare
>part kits" I don't know if they have e-mail accounts but I'll try and find
>out. Give me a few days to dig out their #s. Also as you are probably aware,
>Tom Murray in Dover De specializes in M151 parts he advertises all the time in
>Supplyline, etc. I imagine he has access to drawings. I doubt if any of the
>TMs have dimensions beyond front wheel alignment, loading diagrams, etc. You
>might try looking at Home Pages for the "Tank Automotive and Armament Command"
>in Detroit MI and find out who is responsible for the archives. The drawings
>are probably in their tech library, at least they would be free, except
>postage.

Well, I've seen a "rebuilt" one, and was then quite convinced it is not that
easy to properly reweld a cut M151 body (read: one that runs in a straight
line). It should be possible, as the body itself seems simple enough. I
think you do need proper dimensions and make up some sort of jig. Not that I
am capable of doing all that by myself, but at least I can try to find out
what has to be done. The reason is that I have a lead on a (cheap?) cut body
and simply want to try to do it properly. And it's the only jeep-type
vehicle I know of I can sit in with my 6'6" body.
Maybe the military in automotive design are willing to supply the drawings
to help in what the military in surplus sales try to prevent :-)

Hanno Spoelstra <H.L.Spoelstra@WbMt.TUDelft.NL>
Bloemendaal, The Netherlands