Military Vehicles, February 1997,: Re: Horsehair radiator seal material

Re: Horsehair radiator seal material

Tony Standefer (WillysJeep@worldnet.att.net)
Thu, 27 Feb 1997 18:30:32 -0800

dunlops@racotek.com wrote:

> Tony Standefer wrote:
>
> >A prime example of this is the radiator deflector hair on the MB/GPW
> >many people use a felt carpet pad material (myself included) and this
> >was judged as "incorrect".
>
> Does anyone know where the correct original horsehair is available? I ordered
> some supposedly original horsehair material. Upon arrival it turned out to be a
> roll of felt, which (while serviceable and the correct color) is clearly not
> original.
>
> The original horsehair in my jeep was removed and discarded by a well-meaning
> but misinformed mechanic during an engine overhaul.
>
> -Steve Dunlop
> Minneapolis, MN, USA

Steve

I had the same problem. I purchased mine from Brian French in
California so don't buy it from him!!! I just saw an ad for Brent
Mullins that advertised his as "correct" I would give him a call. If
you get some from him and it looks good let me know, I still have to
change mine!!!Also on the later jeeps (44-45) the hair on one side was
longer than the other. Hope this helps.

Tony Standefer
1944 Willys
Seattle, Wa