Military Vehicles, May 1997,: Re: [MV] Gamma goat

Re: [MV] Gamma goat

DooMDeaD (doomdead@plazma.net)
Wed, 28 May 1997 19:58:05 -0700

At 09:39 PM 5/28/97 +0000, you wrote:
>Don't get your hopes up too high... I spent many a field exercise
>helping fix these pigs. They had a 3 cylinder diesel, and were supposed
>to be able to swim... NOT!
>
>Perhaps most of the problem with the ones we had were that they were
>just worn out... But I don't remember anyone who spent much time on them
>thinking very highly of them... U joints broke with depressing
>regularity, they were underpowered, the injection system for the diesel
>leaked and required frequent manual bleeding (really sucks at zero
>degrees in a field environment..) and so on...
>
>IMHO, go for a M151, or a M35 Deuce if you REALLY want somthing big...
>Shouldn't cost any more, and parts are much more plentiful.

Well, I want 6 x 6, and I want amphibious, and I want to be able to get it
licenced for the street (I'm in Washington state)

I was going to dump the diesel, since a) I know nothing about them, and b)
I've been told they are almost "unobtainum" for the goat, and suck if you
can find 'em.

I know a couple guys that used to drive 'em, and they all say she swims
fine in calm waters, (as long as you remember the plugs) ... and I have
several options we used to use in our race boats to keep it afloat even if
I swamp it. I believe the diesel is heavier than both the engines I was
considering.... (UNK) I've been working up a rough model of it in caligari
truespace, and I like what I'm coming up with... needs bigger tires though :)

I have a buddy with a driveline shop that has "redone" the halfshafts on a
goat, and told me point blank that he can do all 6 shafts for me, and will
replace 'em free if / when I break 'em.

What I'm thinking is a 501 CID caddy engine, or possibly a smallblock chevy
(I have both) depending on what kind of horsepower / torque it needs... I
had assumed I would need to custom build the adaptor plates, etc.

Is there anything else they are problematic with? (I had allready planned
on a 12 volt rewire)
since I'm not going for "authentic" I'm free to re-engineer whatever I need.

Thanks for all your help guys,
-kevin schooler

DooMDeaD Shadows inc. \ Terminal Bliss \ Plazma.net
The board: @the.plazma.net The pages: http://www.plazma.net
To SUBSCRIBE to The "Terminal-Bliss" List, send E-Mail to:
terminal-bliss-request@plazma.net with the word JOIN in the BODY
< Connecting the world.... and beyond....... >

"Spam me and I _will_ kill your mailserver. Bet on it."