Military Vehicles, May 1997,: Re: [MV] Gamma goat

Re: [MV] Gamma goat

Front Line Military Vehicles (flmv@netrax.net)
Thu, 29 May 1997 07:45:06 -0400

DooMDeaD wrote:

> At 09:39 PM 5/28/97 +0000, you wrote:
> >Don't get your hopes up too high... I spent many a field exercise
> >helping fix these pigs. They had a 3 cylinder diesel, and were supposed
> >to be able to swim... NOT!
> >
> >Perhaps most of the problem with the ones we had were that they were
> >just worn out... But I don't remember anyone who spent much time on them
> >thinking very highly of them... U joints broke with depressing
> >regularity, they were underpowered, the injection system for the diesel
> >leaked and required frequent manual bleeding (really sucks at zero
> >degrees in a field environment..) and so on...
> >
> >IMHO, go for a M151, or a M35 Deuce if you REALLY want somthing big...
> >Shouldn't cost any more, and parts are much more plentiful.
>
> Well, I want 6 x 6, and I want amphibious, and I want to be able to get it
> licenced for the street (I'm in Washington state)
>
> I was going to dump the diesel, since a) I know nothing about them, and b)
> I've been told they are almost "unobtainum" for the goat, and suck if you
> can find 'em.

don't know what the problem with the motor is. it's an alumiunum blocked
353 detroit. i have a freind who put one in a chevy pick up 8+ years ago
and has +-225,000 miles on it with just 1 sleeve job. try any of the
large vehicle surplus dealers, most of them bought 353's several years
ago when uncle dumped them.

--
JEFF HAIN-MATSON
FRONT LINE MILITARY VEHICLES