Military Vehicles, June 1997,: Re: [MV] M38A1 F-Head Engine Oil Leak

Re: [MV] M38A1 F-Head Engine Oil Leak

Stu Ellis (stu@bit-net.com)
Wed, 04 Jun 1997 14:19:56 -0400

Andrea/Michael Seils wrote:

> Hello all:
>
> I am new to this list and hope that some of you out there can help me with a
> few problems I am having with my 1952 M38A1 Jeep. I just bought this jeep
> two months ago and had the engine re-built three weeks ago. Last week i
> noticed an oil leak. It is coming out of the aft main bearing which then
> goes out the rear seal. I brought the engine back in, after playing for two
> weeks, and the guy is going to replace all the bearings and seals again.
> Has anyone out there had this problem and know of a good fix? The mechanic
> couldn't explain why it was leaking as he said he rebuilt it to the specs.
>
> Next problem, when giving it the gas I am experiencing a hesatation. I just
> re-built the carb, I believe off a CJ5. Is there something I am overlooking?
>
> Also this is an underwater jeep, and I am looking for the snorkle gear.
> Anyone know of where I can look?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Mike
>
> mseils@tcsn.net
> Mike
>
> mseils@tcsn.net
>
> I dont drive to fast
> I fly to low
>
> ===

Hi! You will need to get the correct carb for your jeep for the "fording
kit" to be attached and be able to use it. the carb is a sealed system
from the air cleaner to the carb. Plus you would need the correct Plugs
and wires. You would also have to have the venting system complete, as
well as the correct gas cap and bell housing plug. You also would need
the correct exhaust system going to the correct place on the jeep for
the rear snorkel to attach. I would suggest you get used to very minor
oil leaks from under jeep. Every thing in mine was rebuilt by pros, but
the drips of oil can drive you crazy looking to solve them.

--
Stu & Meredith  Derry, NH, USA
"Live Free Or Die" 1952 M38A1