Military Vehicles, June 1997,: Re: [MV] Gage , drive pinion setting set

Re: [MV] Gage , drive pinion setting set

John Emery (jemery@execpc.com)
Wed, 11 Jun 1997 21:48:09 -0500

>I also need
> 1. a remover for the outer oil seal 41-r-2384-38
> 2. replacer 41-R-2391-20.
> 3. dial Indicator 41-I-100
>
>If you do NOT have these tools
>what is a good way
>1.to check the ring gear backlash and run-out.
>2.to check the pinion in the differntial housing and
>3.to remove and install new oil seal on the axel housing.

I'm wondering if given the questions you are asking if you really should be
attempting to do this kind of work. No disrespect, and I realise we ALL had
to learn this stuff at some point, but trying to get original special
rebuild tools is kind of pointless unless your into collecting the tools
themselves. Most of them are usless anyway.

As far as resetting a ring & pinion, check out other repair manuals for
other vehicles and see if any one method in particular strikes you as being
easier or more straight forward. There are many ways to get the same result.

In general:

Removing an oil seal - big screwdriver
Replacing an oil seal - old bearing cup, piece of pipe, etc.
Checking R&P runnout and backlash - a cheap machinists dial indicator with
magnetic base
Checking bearing preload - hand feel or small torque wrench
Checking gear wear pattern - prussian blue paste or blue layout die

Having set Dana gears from 23's to 85's my observation is that unless your
racing or running high loads, it just isn't that critical to get a picture
perfect setup. Have some preload, have some backlash, have a wear pattern
thats on the tooth, and call it a day.

je