Military Vehicles, June 1997,: Re: [MV] Military Vehicle Preservation

Re: [MV] Military Vehicle Preservation

jhlang (jhlang@Sourcecom.Com)
Wed, 18 Jun 97 17:25:43 -0800

Rob,

I can see what your intent is, but I think it is a tad much. I
actually have a garage. It is a small single car garage built in '46.
I live in sunny southern california. Even if I were to remove the
commo shelter from the truck (M882), I still could not get the truck
in the garage because the cab is higher than the door! Yes, the truck
sits out in the weather. It gets rained on. It gets pooped on (bird
type). I clean it with a garden hose and soft brush. I fix the rust
(when I find it), it gets regular maintenance.

But to suggest that I can't be a member of the MVPA because of this,
is a little extreme. No, I don't collect MV's. This one gets used.
Someone out there correct me if I am wrong, but I feel that the MVPA
stands for more than just preserving MV's. There is the comraderie of
people sharing an earnest interest in a hobby (to some maybe an
avocation); there is the willingness to help someone who is in need,
be it technical or otherwise; there is the intense interest in the
history of the military and military vehicles; and the round the world
location of parts when they are needed.

Did we not just go around with something like this with the
M151/HMMWV? Let's not expand this anymore.

Rob, I've read your postings over the last year, and you're usually
right on the money. But, I think this is a little extreme. I propose
maybe having a collector's segment to the membership for those that
want to be true blue collectors/restorers and then these suggestions
could be applied to this. There could also be a general class for
others that may own MV's but don't collect or restore. I've done a
little restoration on mine, but only where something was broken or
missing, and not so much to bring it back to issue condition.

Just my $.02 worth.

Regards,

Jared Lang
SCMVCC, Burbank, CA. USA