Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] After Market Bodies for MBs

Re: [MV] After Market Bodies for MBs

Jeff Polidoro (willys@vgernet.net)
Sat, 12 Jul 1997 08:22:32 -0400

If you don't want to use the MB body you already have on a Ford (and I
agree you shouldn't), I can't imagine you'd want to use a repro body on a
Ford (or on anything but a woods buggy, for that matter). The differences
are so many and so obvious you can spot them a mile a way. While it might
be, theoretically, possible to swap all of the unique features of the
mid-series Ford body to the repro, the reality would probably be that
repairing even the worst Ford body you could find would be cheaper, more
accurate and (and more satisfying). But you will never get the bends and
contours of the firewall, for example, to where you can't still tell it's a
repro, unless you found some idiot-savant sheet metal worker. (Maybe
without the savant part.) If you were willing to do this you might as well
just get a junk Ford body and do it with the Willys body. Also, there
must be someone in a similar (but opposite) situation who might swap a Ford
body with you. Some of the repro bodies are so dimensionally inaccurate
that I have seen them where you have to use the repro fenders to get them
to bolt up and then the hood still over hung the stock grille by an inch
and a half. The shop had to cut an one inch section out and reweld it to
shorten the hood and the driver's footwell area was so far off the pedals
wouldn't swing freely.

Regards,

JP