Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] Re: M-1009 Blazer

Re: [MV] Re: M-1009 Blazer

Matt and Kathy Oliver (pwrwgn@eaglequest.com)
Tue, 15 Jul 1997 21:46:12 -0400

Doug wrote:

> Sean wrote:
>
> >I had also heard that the military Blazers were rated at 3/4 tons,
> >but it appears it has the 6 stud wheel pattern, 10 bolt differential 1/2
> ton
> >axles. Is the rating a result of the springs?
>
> It's true, Sean. Much to my dismay the M1009 CUCV Blazer was produced with
> semi-floating Corporate rear axles that are analogous to the civilian
> 1/2-ton pickup rears. The M1008 et.al. were at least assembled with
> full-floaters.
>
> Remember, these were obtained by the government for "command and control,"
> not heavy-duty haulin' and brawlin'.
>
> -doug
> Jacksonville, FL

Remember that the when the army says 3/4 ton they mean a 1500 lb
payload. The M1009 Blazer has nothing particulary different from a
civilian blazer except the oddball 12/24 volt electrical system. The
M1008 5/4 ton is much the same way. It is a 8600 lb GVW Chevy which is
sold to the general public as a 2500 series. I believe the M1028 (for
signal shelters) is a 9200 lb GVW or 3500 series. These were meant for
limited tactital use like the Dodge 880 series. My 2 cents worth.
Matt
--
Matt, Kathy, Steven11 & Sarah8 TophatLB7, ChessieBB6 & Tabby Oliver
Check out our Home Page at  http://www.eaglequest.com/~pwrwgn