Military-Vehicles: Re: Fwd: [MV] After Market Bodies for MBs

Re: Fwd: [MV] After Market Bodies for MBs

Jeff Polidoro (willys@vgernet.net)
Thu, 24 Jul 1997 02:53:30 -0400

> This whole discussion really tickles me. I think it's gotten a little
> out of hand, though. Let me throw in an analogy/anecdote instead of
$.02:

> I'm a Mustang enthusiast, as well. I have a 1970 convertible that has *a

> few* good options. As I was restoring it I had to do some serious
> soul-searching. You see, the *correct* color was Pastel Blue and it
> originally came with Sport Wheel Covers. For those of you in Rio Linda,
> that's about the WORST combination Ford could've possibly thought of for
> such a car. So what do I do - reluctantly paint the car an ugly color
> and proclaim myself to be a "purist" or do I paint it candyapple red -
> the color ALL convertibles SHOULD be (at least in my mind) - and throw a
> set of styled steel wheels on it? (both options could be found on a
> Mustang in 1970). Well, I
> can tell you one thing. My car is now red and is enjoy the hell out of
it!

I have decided this issue for myself as follows: When I restored my 67
L-89 Corvette roadster I wanted it to be yellow with black hood stinger and
the bolt on aluminum wheels. But the car was originally green with white
stinger and the steel rallye wheels. It had a paint and trim tag and
original paperwork that identified the original color and wheels. So
repainted it the original green so it would match the trim tag and
paperwork and I restored the steel wheels and mounted NOS Firestones on
them. Then I restored a set of the aluminum wheels and mounted current
radials on them and used them for the road wheels. The fresh green paint,
actually, looked much better than the faded original paint ever had and,
though I still would have preferred yellow, I have never wished I went
through with it.

Now my CJ2A is a different story. It was originally Harvest Tan with
orange wheels and a black pinstripe. But I want it to be Pasture Green
with yellow wheels and a green stripe. (It looks like a JD tractor and
that's the coolest look, in my opinion.) Since there is no body color or
trim tag or original paperwork to contradict, I*will*paint this one the
color I want since it could have been that way except for chance. For me
this is consistent with my idea that as long as someone looking at the
vehicle cannot detect (because of the absence of a body/trim color tag)
that it is not absolutely original, it is a proper restoration.

Regards,

JP

P.S. I would have painted the Mustang blue if it has a trim tag and red if
it doesn't and done both sets of wheels.