Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] Chemical dipping

Re: [MV] Chemical dipping

Lee Phillips (lee_phillips@rccgw.chinalake.navy.mil)
28 Jul 1997 08:09:16 -0700

You can find lots of places that do this kind of stripping in Hemmings =
Motor News.

Lee
------------------------------
Date: 7/26/97 7:00 PM
To: Phillips, Lee
From: jonathon

>The book All American Wonder talks about chemical dipping of jeep part =
as a
>better alternative to sand blasting. This process should remove both old
paint >and rust and leave the bare metal left. I don't know of any =
companys
that >offer this service in my area, so I wonder is this something I can =
do
by >myself? What type of liquid is used, and where can it be bought?

The place in this area that does this now has a second service available
that looks really slick. After chemically removing all the paint and =
rust
they dip paint it with black epoxy then bake it. Think of it! Every crac=
k,
crevise, and hidden area cleaned then soaked with an epoxy primer. I =
wish
they had this when I did my body. It must stick real well because he =
said
they charge double to have it stripped again.

As far as doing it yourself, removing paint is only half of the issue.
Removing and/or neutralizing the rust is also important. He said that =
the
EPA would not allow anyone (in the US) to start up a business like this =
now.
His operation has been grandfathered, for now.

je

=3D=3D=3D

Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 20:25:50 -0500 (CDT)
To: mil-veh@skylee.com