Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] Contaminated brake linings

Re: [MV] Contaminated brake linings

Alan Bowes (alan_bowes@phast.com)
Mon, 28 Jul 1997 09:47:23 -0600

Hi, Gordon,

If you're not having any brake fade problems, then I agree that there is no compelling
reason to go to a newer semi-metallic or aramid(??) fiber lining. Also, some cheap
semi-metallic linings are worthless, but most of the major brands work nicely. I used a
set on a Chev pickup. They lasted for four years and I never experienced any fade or
uneven pulling, even driving heavily loaded (the truck was heavily loaded, not me) down
steep canyon highways.

By the way, I ran across an explanation of brake fade that I thought was interesting:

"Fade occurs as the pad (or shoe lining) temperature rises and the resins in the pad (or
lining) begin to "boil." The vapor then acts as a lubricant, preventing direct contact
between the pad and the rotor."

Also, you mentioned that you were going to have your brakes tested on a roller system.
Here's a site that talks about different brake testing systems. It appears to be rather
dated (1990) but there seems to be some good info. There are a lot of photos, so you might
want to load it in text-only mode:

http://www.hunter.com/pub/product/brake/2623t.htm

Regards,

Alan