Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] Fwd: Chemical Paint Stripping

Re: [MV] Fwd: Chemical Paint Stripping

Rick (rickl@npark.com)
Mon, 28 Jul 1997 12:13:16 -0400

I have also read in "Classic Auto Restorer" that Crystal Drano can be
used;
> in a mix of one container of crystals per 10 gallons of water. They say
> don't use the liquid type drain cleaner, it must be the crystal type.
>
> Always use care with this mix, as the vapors will consume small dogs within
> 10 feet. Use heavy rubber gloves and safety glasses. Flush very well with
> clean water. It hasn't killed the grass in my yard (yet). DO NOT USE ON
> ALUMINUM OR ZINC. Will totally disolve both of these in minutes. Will NOT
> etch or harm metal, as alkaline is the opposite of acid, and will stop
> reacting when it reaches the metal part.
>
> Prime within hours of stripping, or you will have a solid piece of rust.
>
> Good Luck All
>
> Tom Campbell (205) 491-1972 work

I have used the process using Drano with good success , I use a cold
solution. The only drawback is it takes longer to disolve the paint. I
use a 30 stock watering tank and find I can fit anything in save larger
body parts.

Rick
M-37

Rick