Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] Contaminated brake linings

Re: [MV] Contaminated brake linings

Auke Dijkstra (auke.dijkstra@pi.net)
Mon, 28 Jul 1997 20:58:18 -0700

Gordon.W.I. McMillan wrote:

> Hi Alan, you are quite right about the new linings, however it has been
> my experience that the original parts were fairly well matched as to
> performance and that using modern materials can just move the problem.
>
> Harder modern pads can reduce the differential coefficient of friction
> and actually make braking harder if you're not careful,

Hi All,

Learned a new word today "linings", I didn't know what it was, and
I know it now, thank you Gordon.
I had the same braking problem with the GPW, replaced about everything
cleaned the linings a few times, which didn't help and finally took
the brake pads and brake drums off. I put all the stuff in my car and
went to a local truck dealer. I asked them where they rebuild their
brake
pads and drums, and they send me to a "brake service centre" not too
far away. The guys at the centre gave me some advice and we decided
to use soft linings on the pads (they don't last that long, but they
brake a lot harder. I don't drive the GPW that much anyway). They
reworked the drums first, then they made the linings fit perfectly to
the drums, by choosing a certain thickness and they glued the linings to
the pads. After putting the stuff back on the GPW and making some
adjustments I went for a ride and I really noticed a big improvement.
The story about "jeeps usually not braking very well" is not true
anymore. After the GPW we did the same with the Dodges and we also
used soft linings on them. We then did the CCKW and put hard linings
on it because the CCKW brakes like hell anyway, so you won't notice the
hard pads. On the DUKW we put soft linings on the front and hard
linings on the rears, and it brakes just like the CCKW. Letting the
brake linings replace at a professional brake centre may cost a bit
more, but it feels a lot safer.

Regards,

Auke Dijkstra
Haaksbergen