Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] Fwd: Chemical Paint Stripping

Re: [MV] Fwd: Chemical Paint Stripping

Lee Phillips (lee_phillips@rccgw.chinalake.navy.mil)
30 Jul 1997 07:16:50 -0700

What you propose is usually called a "Hot Tank". This is all well and =
good unless you have to empty it sometime. If there's more than 55 =
gallons (one barrel) of effluent [in a year] then you become [according =
to the USA EPA] a hazardous waste generator. The fines for transgressions =
are enormous - and if you think the IRS is bad, wait 'till you deal with =
these maniacs. You might be astonished.

lee
------------------------------
Date: 7/29/97 9:12 PM
To: Phillips, Lee
From: Pat Patterson

At 11:43 AM 29/07/97 -0400, you wrote:
> We used a short, fat, electric water heater that the
>jacket had been removed from and the top of the tank torch-cut off to =
form a
>lid. When plugged in this heated the solution and gave a tank large =
enough to
>soak a small 4cyl engine block. Some problems with this is the risk of
>electrical shock (the contraption sure scared me!!) but it did clean =
parts.
>Perhaps one of you great fabricators could come up with something =
better.

Sounds fine to me, Just wasnt finished yet. The next step would
have been to replace the insulation, cut down the jacket and replace, =
then
some wood
'hot tub" style to make it look nice and hide sharp edges. From there I
would probably make some steps and a landing /deck to save your back, =
then
space and materials permitting I would make ether a jib crane off of a =
wall
or an A frame and beam , for lifting parts out of the stuff.

Also a nat gas water heater could be rejetted to burn propane ( =
you
can buy them that way also for trailers etc. ) you would have to make a =
lot
of adjustments to vent fumes ( in your house it vents up the middle like =
long donut ) but it would be lots cheaper than electric. and of course =
you
would have to observe all safty pracices re FIRE .

Cool thought tho anyone neer Surrey BC Canada want one? I'd build
one just for the fun of building it plus the cost of matterials ( ruf =
guess
$50 - $100 can depending on cost of used tank and desired finished app.) =
But
unfortunatly I have no space to put it. :(

Pat Patterson
'52 M38 CDN "Box 'o' Jeep"
'78 F150
'79 Bronco