Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] Column shift jeeps

Re: [MV] Column shift jeeps

Jeff Polidoro (willys@vgernet.net)
Mon, 11 Aug 1997 12:09:33 -0400

> What transmission was used in the CJ2 with column shift? Is it a T-90A?
Were
> the agricultural jeeps also column shift? If so what transmission did
they
> use? Were the parts used in these column shift jeeps leftovers from MA
> production?

The AgriJeeps (CJ2-01 to CJ2-12) and slightly later CJ2s (#13 to 44, 45,
50? or so) were all column shift. Some photos seem to indicate they may
have been tested with T-84s. There are photos which show the cowl
stenciled "T-84X" . ( They are also stenciled "8 1/2 C" and "L.G.R." which
most likely stands for 8 1/2 " clutch and low gear ratio (5.38 vs 4.88)
They were probably not leftover MA units. Meaning the casting date of the
case may have been 1944 instead of 1941, essentially the same side shift
T-84 unit with whatever modification (probably some HD mod) they were
testing to merit the X designation which I assume is for experimental.

There were some very early, maybe as early as 1943, CJs which, for lack of
a better term or until we can find one and see how it is identified, Todd
Paisley and I refer to as the "CJ-1s" but that is our own term and there is
*no* historical documentation for that term ever being used by anyone but
us. These were essentially converted MBs with the axe sheath, combat rims,
etc. still in place. These appear, from photo(s) to have been cane shift.

If you have 6 or 7 of these (either model) laying around I'd be happy to
talk to your fleet sales manager :-)

Regards,

JP

P.S Why do you ask?