Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] Book on CMP Vehicles

Re: [MV] Book on CMP Vehicles

Geoff Winnington-Ball -WHISKEY- (gwb@interlog.com)
Mon, 18 Aug 1997 19:52:38 -0400

INDUSTELE@aol.com wrote:

> It is a very good overall book about the subject, covering Great
> Britian,
> British Commonwealth, United States, Germany, Italy, France, Soviet
> Union and Japan. Again, it is not a detailed book, but an overview.
> I found it interesting, because like many US collectors, we tend to
> forget that others than Ford, Willy's, and GMC made some very unique
> vehicles.

Thanks , Tom, for your input. Canada, which was largely an agricultural
country in 1939, had produced the following by September 1945: 409,936
CMP's, 30,357 'modified conventional' trucks, 50,241 armoured vehicles
of various descriptions, and 91,436 'miscellaneous' vehicles. Few exist
today, and gawd knows what official records even survive. The fact
remains that these vehicles ended up all over the world, equipping [in
part] most of the Commonwealth armies wherever they were engaged.

I haven't heard of your book, but I'll certainly look for it. My
reference volume, by the way, is a (well-dog-eared) copy of something
published privately by one Dr. Willian Gregg back in 1978 here in
Ontario. I don't know what became of him or his substantial collectionof
vehicles, but I'm in the process of finding that out.

Geoff Winnington-Ball
Markham, Ontario, Canada

Ex-15cwt CMP
recovered and restored UC Mk1*