Military-Vehicles: [MV] RE: Connecting rod installation problem

[MV] RE: Connecting rod installation problem

Todd Paisley (paisley@erols.com)
Mon, 8 Sep 1997 23:30:11 -0400

>The Mechanic state that all the piston with the T -Slot side
>and the oil squirt hole on the connecting rod are facing
>to the valve side (righthand side from front view of the
> engine.) He said that he experienced disassembly new
>engine

>The TM's state that all the piston with the T-Slot facing to the
>Valve side but all of the oil squirt hole are facing opposite.

The oil spray hole should be on the follow side or away from
the camshaft toward the right side of the engine. Slot on the
piston should face the cam.

>And what is the problem that will appear, if we put it in
>the wrong direction ?.

I would assume you would have oiling problems for the piston and increase
ring wear.

>I have a question about the piston oiling mechanism, if all
>of the connecting rod squirt hole facing to one side only,
>what about the other side of the piston, when and from where the oil grease the
>other piston side ?

I'm not sure, but I would imagine it is coming from the crankshaft throwing the
oil upwards. I would just install it the right way. They make a big deal of
it in the maintenance manuals, so it must be important.

>And how to connecting the rod to the crankshaft,
>as far as I know Connecting rod no 1 is the same as no 3
>and no 2 is the same as no 4 , but how to distinguish it and to install it to
>the crankshaft?

Connecting rods #1 and #3 are interchangeable as well as #2 and #4.
Connecting rods #1 and #3 have one of the following marks:

WO-641774
WO-640071
WO-639999
GPW 6200