Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] Pioneer Tools for M38A1???

Re: [MV] Pioneer Tools for M38A1???

paul vandervort (pgv@imaxx.net)
Sat, 20 Sep 1997 23:03:43 -0700

Scott Strance wrote:

> Hey group,
>
> Since your all such a great source of information, does (rather did) the M38A1
> have pioneer tools such as the shovel and pick? I can't seem to find any
> hard-points on my rig or any others, or documentation in the TM's regarding
> these items. Seems abit odd that the M38 on one end (early) and the M151 on
> the other (later) each have these.
>
> Also, was there a fire extinguisher for the M38A1? If so, where was it and
> what kind. Can't seem to find any info on that either.
>
> And lastly, under the engine hood there is a bracket on the lower right side
> with a strap. What went there? Was it the jack assembly?

Scott

Yes there were pioneer tools for the M38A1. The axe mounted on top of
the r.h. rear wheel well. The bracket you noticed under the hood is for
the shovel. My '54 had a fire extinguisher mounted to the right of the
instrument cluster. My 54 M170 & my 63 M38A1 do not have mountings for a
fire extinguisher that I have seen to date. An addition, on my '54 it
had a cigarette lighter mounted in one of the unused holes (fording
handle hole?), and recently i saw the same thing on another M38A1. On
mine I know for sure that it came that way from the Army as I am the
first civilian owner the veh has had, and on the other one it was an
ex-forestry weh so I cant be sure of that one. Maybe someone else can
shed light on that accy?

Paul Vandervort
MVPA 437