Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] WW2 Dodge Page / Marble Reflectors

Re: [MV] WW2 Dodge Page / Marble Reflectors

David Robinson (djr@enterprise.powerup.com.au)
Tue, 14 Oct 1997 09:38:29 +0000

> From: " Dan Schultz" <schultz@inficad.com>
> To: "David Robinson" <djr@enterprise.powerup.com.au>, <mil-veh@skylee.com>
> Subject: Re: [MV] WW2 Dodge Page / Marble Reflectors
> Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 21:46:32 -0700

> I have four old round marble reflectors that I salvaged from an old
> abandoned road marker. They measure 5 1/8" across at the base and each hold
> 14 red 5/8" marbles. Any idea what these might have been off of? Also, many
> of the marbles have been broken over time. I can only find 1/2" red
> marbles, any ideas where I might find 5/8" ones and what would be the best
> way to remove the rust (mostly surface) from years out in the weather?
>
> Thanks,
> Dan Schultz
> <schultz@inficad.com>

Hi Dan,

Sounds like you have found some of the prized marble reflectors which
were also fitted to early mv's. I may be wrong on this, but I thought
the "marbles" were part of a one-piece glass casting which was
enclosed by the sheet metal housing. There was someone selling repro
marbles/(glass castings?) in "Supply Line" sometime ago - I think it
might have been Steve Greenberg from Oregon - he's well known in the
MVPA. Let me know if you need his contact details.

The best way to remove the rust would be to get the housings either
lightly sand/bead-blasted by a motor garage or even to treat them
with a rust remover - the blasting would be the best way to go
though. Marble reflectors are rare and definitely worth saving if you
can do so.

Regards,

David Robinson. Brisbane. Australia.