Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] Ignition Coil

Re: [MV] Ignition Coil

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Torfinn_S=F8rnes?= (tsornes@online.no)
Mon, 20 Oct 1997 10:00:36 +-100

>I was told that all coils need a resistor, either an internal one or
>external. Both my WC and M-37 have an external ceramic resistor.=20
>I've noticed this drops the voltage across the primary from 12v to 6v,
>although the coil is listed as 12v.

>Can anyone tell me why the guy who sold me the 12v coil insisted I not =
remove
>the external resistor?

the purpose of the resistor is to limit the current through the primary =
winding.=20
If it is removed then the current may be so high that the primary =
winding will burn off. Some coils have a large internal resistance so an =
external resistor is not needed. (This is the
case with my volvo). Some manufacturers bypass (short circuit) the =
resistor at start up so that the coil will produce a significant spark =
at low temperatures and low battery voltages.

Torfinn Sornes
Norway