Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] Submarine Source?

Re: [MV] Submarine Source?

RKiser8375@aol.com
Wed, 29 Oct 1997 13:48:54 -0500 (EST)

<< >Does anyone have a source or contact where one could
>purchase a retired/obsolete diesel attack submarine?
>It could be of Chinese or Russian origin. What kind of
>issues would one have to face for something like this
>this to be in private ownership, asuming that there
>are no live arms on board and all Coast Guard regs
>were met? >>

I just remembered about another Florida submarine. It seems that after the
DEA confiscated that submarine from some coke smugglers, another one washed
up on the beaches about a year or two later. It was a tiny one-man
submarine, and I don't believe it was really functional, like maybe it had
been gutted or something. But it just washed up on the beach somewhere in
Florida, I believe it was on the Gulf coast. Nobody ever claimed it and the
authorities said they figured that it had been used for smuggling drugs into
the U.S. and then abandoned for whatever reason.

For more information on this topic, check out the Usenet Newsgroup
sci.military.naval

Rob Kiser

P.S. - On a somewhat related note, in New Oreleans, there is museum on
Jackson Square next to the St. Louis Cathedral where one of the earliest
submarines is on display. It was used in the civil war and has a drill bit
on the front (ostensibly to bore a hole in the hull of a ship) which was
turned with a hand crank by crewmen inside the sub. For the next generation
of the submarine, an improvement was the electric drill for the which, when
used in Mobile Bay, electrocuted all occupants and sank.