Re: [MV] British Vehicle Information Wanted

Colin Brookes (colb@xtra.co.nz)
Wed, 26 Nov 1997 17:27:41 +1200

In message <199711260111.UAA30218@julia.ultra.net>, "Jeffrey R. Granai"
<jeff@fred.wonet.com.pl> writes
>Hello list,
>
>Was watching Patriot Games and saw a vehicle that I like but can't figure
>out what it is. It looks Land Rover but has an armored back that is square
>and higher than the hood. They were using it in Ireland.
>
>What is this vehicle? Are there any in the states? How much are they worth?
>
>Any information would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Jeff Granai

Hi Jeff,

The vehicle is probably the 'Short SB.301', although there is a later
anti-hijack vehicle called the 'Short SB.303'. The RUC were issued with
them in 1974 (301's). It is based on the same Landrover chassis as the
Shorland (which looks like a Landrover with a turret). Both are
available on the collectors market in the UK. The SB.301 is an
armoured personnel carrier with 8.25mm thick armour, it is powered by
the 91hp Rover 6cyl engine, and carries 6 fully armed soldiers. Apart
from the RUC, the British Army also has supplies of them, but only use
them in Northern Ireland.

regards

Colin Brookes
Invicta Military Vehicle Preservation Society (IMPS)
colb@xtra.co.nz