Re: [MV] M38 Carburetor... magnets?

Alan Bowes (alan_bowes@phast.com)
Sat, 13 Dec 1997 10:05:28 -0700

Gil Huguley wrote:

> Yeah, it smells pretty bad here. Bet it stinks at Alan B.s house too.

> Steve Allen wrote:
>
> > Didn't somebody concoct some sort of "fuel saver"
> > using an electro-magnet around the fuel line?
>
> Yes -- I've noticed it in the last few JCWhitney catalogs.
> As I recall the ad says it breaks up "clumps" of fuel
> molecules. Hmmm...<sniff> I don't know, but I might be
> getting a whiff of snake oil <sniff>.
>
> Steve Johnston

************************

This might be getting a bit non-military, but what the heck...

I've seen an ad or two for these magnetic marvels, but the truth is that
I've never bothered to research the idea...yet. All I recall is
something to the effect that polarizing hydrocarbon molecules reduces
the surface tension of the liquid (making it more volatile?). I'll
continue to be skeptical until I have more data. It might be interesting
to look into. Anyone out there have any experience with these?

I believe that one factor in obtaining improved fuel economy with any
aftermarket gadget is similar to the "placebo" effect. If someone just
spent hard-earned silver on a fuel-saving device, they really WANT it to
work, so there may be a conscious or subconscious tendency to drive the
vehicle a little more delicately than before, or perhaps to be a little
more generous in rounding off decimal places when computing fuel
consumption. This is further complicated when someone installs a new
gadget at the same time that they do a tune up or clean/replace an air
cleaner, or make some other simultaneous improvement. To accurately
check the function of such gadgets, you have to carry out carefully
designed double-blind studies, with a large enough sample size to
produce statistically significant results.

I'm not saying that some aftermarket devices don't really help, but I
think that one should always be wary of wondrous claims.

Here's to better economy...

Alan