Re: [MV] "jeep" describes only '40-'45 1/4-tons?

SBJohnston@aol.com
Sun, 11 Jan 1998 13:07:51 -0500 (EST)

John wrote:

>I try not to think of myself of a snob, but I really believe
>that jeep production ceased in 1945...

>[Interesting ancedotes of the great service provided by WWII
>jeeps edited]

>The leap of faith in my belief is that anything which came
>after 1945 was merely a refinement of the design...

>You can take the point of view that M38's, M151's, M201-
>they're all the same. But as you know, they are just not
>the same.

The more I study them the more I see great simularity between my M38 and the
WWII jeeps, but you're correct: they are not exactly the same. But I cannot
agree that they are not in the same category of vehicle, which I think is
reasonably called jeep.

>Yeah, you've got a jeep, but you don't have a real one...
>No offense intended, just a strong belief....

Perhaps we can turn to the users to decide what is *real*: Did the military
men who used the M38, M38A, M151's etc call them jeeps?

Steve Johnston

sbjohnston@aol.com