Re: [MV] mistaken identity

Colin Brookes (colb@xtra.co.nz)
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 17:48:48 +1200

In message <199802110119.RAA18579@tanith.skylee.com>, Jeff Polidoro=20
<willys@vgernet.net> writes

>> the last 'jeeps in original crates', I have seen.....
>
>Are you saying that you know where there is one or more 1/4 tons in the
>crate or do you mean "jeeps" in the generic sense?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jeff

Hi Jeff,

They were WW2 1/4 ton jeeps. Nick Bullock who subscribes to this list=20
lives I believe somewhere in the area of The Rocket Site, Misson (not=20
far from Bawdsy in Yorkshire) where one of them was kept. He may be=20
able to verify the collection of jeeps that Lou Jackson (the father and=20
originator of the business not the son who was running the site on my=20
last visit about 1994), used to store on the top of racks around one of=20
the old hangers. One of them was unissued in a crate. A friend tried=20
to buy a Bantam from him, but he wouldn't even let us look at it close=20
up. Yet I heard about 4 years ago he gave a helicopter and some rocket=20
launching equipment to the Beverly museum. He once charged me =A3500 for=20
a 'military Humber Super Snipe' engine, but on another visit gave me an=20
almost complete rare prototype 'Commer Q2 FFW'.......a true eccentric.

Brian Hawkins is now an exceptionaly wealthy 'earthmoving & plant=20
dealer', and the old scrap section of his yard was closed off completely=20
with dogs patrolling it when last I tried to visit ( I was attempting to=20
talk him into selling one of the Carden Lloyd Carriers, but he would not=20
even agree to meet me).

regards

Colin