Re: [MV] mistaken identity

Colin Brookes (colb@xtra.co.nz)
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 18:27:28 +1200

In message <34E1157E.427BBEF6@netwave.ca>, Geoff Winnington-Ball
<whiskey@netwave.ca> writes
> Colin Brookes wrote:
>
>> In 1981 Bill Armitage (of Ferret and Saracen fame), bought from
>> Brian Hawkins a Canadian Mk1 Bren Carrier in it's original unopened
>> delivery crate. ... On my last visit about 1990 he [ Brian ] had
>> piled on top of each other about 10 tracked carriers of varying types
>> from Carden Lloyd to T16's. And was using a Humber MkIV Armoured Car
>> fitted with a winch and jib, as a crane.
>
>Go on Colin, just shove that knife in a little deeper...
>
>:-)
>
>Geoff

I can assure you it hurt more to know and see some of what was there,
and not be able to get to speak to the owner. Even Billy Armatage who
levered the 'Carrier' from him was never able again to get to him. His
yard was famous amongst many of the earlier collectors, because at that
time it was just a scrap yard and you could see some of the kit, though
you couldn't touch or buy. And seing the 'Humber' dragging and lifting
scrap about the yard made you cry (it was before the days of the
Portuguese discoveries, with 'Humber's' lying all around Chris Wilkins
Yard).

Colin