Re: [MV] Directional tire directions

Alan Bowes (inbox@todacosa.com)
Fri, 05 Jun 1998 08:29:07 -0600

Here are a couple of thoughts on the V-tread issue:

First, let's make sure we are talking in the same direction. When I say
that the V is pointing forward, I mean that the POINT IS POINTING
FORWARD WHEN LOOKING DOWN ON THE TIRE, as shown here:
http://www.deere.com/ag/tractors/7000/7k.htm

A tire with a forward-pointing V will tend to be self-clearing on soft
surfaces as the tire slips. Consider mud, for example.

Since the point of the V hits the mud first, the mud will be pushed
towards the outside of the tread as the tire slips in it, rather than
being gathered toward the center where it can't escape. This allows the
tread to keep biting, rather than turning the tread into a mud-packed
'racing slick.' So, you have BETTER FORWARD TRACTION with a
forward-pointing V.

However, a drawback to the forward-pointing V is REDUCED BRAKING on
gooey ground, where the opposite will happen. If the tire slips while
braking, it will fill up the tread and slide more easily on the surface.
At typical off-road speeds, this is usually not much of a factor,
although it can get a bit dicey going down a steep hill.

Ruts in soft or muddy roads also tend to get deeper after a convoy of
forward-V-tired vehicles, since the dirt keeps getting pushed out of the
center of each rut towards the sides. However, the ruts would tend to
remain a bit drier and harder, so it still might be better in the short
run.

The vast majority of farmers seem to prefer the forward-facing V on
their tractor tires. Also, this is the way they are installed by the
tractor manufacturers

Alan