Re: [MV] thermostats and overheating

Alan Bowes (Inbox@todacosa.com)
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 10:48:28 -0600

There have been some good comments. It's hard to add much to Richard's in
particular, but I might add that if all (or part) of an engine block is
running too cool, the vapors inside the crankcase (which include water vapor)
will condense on the relatively cooler surfaces. This will cause an insidious
buildup of layer after layer of hydrogenated sludge (oil permanently combined
with water molecules, like carbon-saturated margarine). As I've mentioned in
some earlier postings, I've seen engines that were run without thermostats
for long periods of time, with sludge buildups over 1/4-inch thick (or more)
on the inside surfaces of the block. This is particularly nasty when chunks
of it break off and get circulated through the oil pump and bearings, or plug
up the oil pickup screen. This buildup can happen even with detergent oil,
though usually to a lesser degree. It also interferes with the normal heat
transfer process, blocks oil gravity return passages, and throws the
reciprocating parts off balance.

As Richard mentioned, water flowing too fast through an engine block may or
may not circulate properly, due to the change in flow characteristics as it
makes its way from inlet to outlet. This can cause hot spots as well as cold
spots. Uneven heating is NOT good for maintaining dimensional stabililty of
the engine block.

A stable temperature helps to keep the block from constantly expanding and
contracting.

Fuel efficiency is generally better when the engine is operating at the right
temperature.

Your heater will keep you warm in the winter if you use the correct
thermostat.

etc.
etc.
etc.

In other words, use the correct thermostat.

Alan