[MV] Re: 6 V starter motor in 12 V

Buzz (buzzm@reno.rmci.net)
Mon, 06 Jul 1998 14:57:21 GMT

After years of operating a 6V starter on 12V the Bendix drive
failed. After disassembly I found that the part inside the spring
had broken into two pieces. I located a new one at a local auto
electric shop for about $30.00. When I talked with the counterman
he told me that he's seen that happen when the starter is run at
a higher voltage. Since that part is hardened it can't take the
repeated hammering of the additional torque due to the higher
voltage.
Buzz

On Mon, 6 Jul 1998 09:35:26 +0200 , you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>what do you think of starting a Ford V8 engine (Universal
carrier) with a 12
>volts battery for the 6 volts starter motor (all other
electrical parts in 6
>volts). Is there a risk to damage it.
>
>Thanks
>Raphael
>
>=3D=3D=3D
>To unsubscribe from the mil-veh mailing list, send the single
word
>UNSUBSCRIBE in the body of a message to
<mil-veh-request@skylee.com>.

Real jeeps are O.D. All others are wannabes.