Re: [MV] Ferret hull access

Jim Webster (jimweb@SIMONIDES.PRESTEL.CO.UK)
Thu, 30 Jul 1998 12:22:59 +0100

Ken Fieth wrote:

> My Ferret Mark2/3 has a broken gear in the RR bevel box. The gear was a welded
> repair and apparently the weld broke. I was in 2WD, having taken the front
> drive shafts out to prevent wind up. The strain on teh RR weld was toogreat
> and I broke the Bevel Heel and Pinion or the Ring gear and Pinion (US).

Why are people doing this, I realise there was a thread about the pro's and con's
of it a while back but the vehicle isnt designed to run like this and the increase
strain on the rear bevel box's will result in this happening. It was tried by the
army in Northern Ireland in the middle 70's [where they run predominantly on
roads] and abandoned due to the increase number of shaft fractures. Wind-up isnt
a problem as long as you rotate your tyres occasionally - dont ask me why this is
so as I can't remember the science of it but after 8 years in a Recce Troop with
Ferrets I cannot recall a single wind-up related incidence some spectacular
accidents but no wind-up!

TTFN
Jim
Honorary Secretary