Re: [MV] Full Flow Oil Filter on M-38A1

jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 20:05:41 -0600 (CST)

> Also I am rebuilding the rear axle. Acording to the
>manual I have to have an axle spreader. The carier came out with no
>problem due to shot bearings. I do not know how many shims or what
>thickness of shims to install under the new bearings.

I hope you kept the shims and marked which side they came from? I have a
case spreader which I found necessary for Dana 60's & 70's but I have done
44's with out one. A book could be written on setting up hypoid gears and
in some respects it is no where near as critical as some manuals would have
you believe. If you have a SOME preload in the carrier and the backlash is
within a liberal window and the wear pattern is basically on the tooth then
that should be good enough. You should look into the pinion bearings also
given that the carrier bearings were shot. Dana's are a real pain so one
might ask "how much use is this thing going to get?" before going to far.

je