Re: [MV] radio hook-up?

Joe Foley (redmenaced@yahoo.com)
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 13:01:10 +1100 (EST)

---J310L@aol.com wrote:

> Hi List,
>

> I have a question. I have a 12 volt system in my jeep and I have 24
volt
> military radio. Would it be possible to buy a step-up transformer or
add
> another battery? Just to use for the radio-nothing else. This may or
may not
> be possible but I am open to any ideas. If this can't be done, the
radio still
> looks good anyways for show purposes. Thanks.
++++++++++++++++++
You might not believe this, but a transformer won't work on the DC out
of your battery. It needs a fluxuating current to work, like the
current through your coil that is caused to fluxuate by the points
opening and closing.

OK, ...so that's more than you wanted to hear....... the problem with
hooking up two batteries is that they can't be charged by the vehicle
generator at 12 VDC while you're using 24 VDC.

Classic problem. That's why the miliitary used dynamotors, that is,
they put one voltage, say your 12 VDC, into an electric motor that ran
a generator that put out, let's say 24 VDC, like you need.

More bad news: If you're going to use the transmitter you'll need a
BIG battery, they take a lot of current, amps, watts.

But have fun anyway,

Joe F.