Re: [MV] FUEL???

mtowers@netxpress.com
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 22:02:57 -0600

James Shanks wrote:

> True but remember every time you drive that deuce and a half on the road it
> grabs attention. It's
> obviously Military but civilian plates? That is enough to get a cop's
> curiosity going. How about it 6x6
> owners....ever been stopped just to find out if it was really yours??
>
> James Shanks
> n1vbn@bit-net.com
> (N1VBN is my Ham Radio callsign)
> n1vbn@wb1dsw.nh.usa.noam

I drove my duece about 350 miles across west Texas into South Texas when
I bought it, and saw LOTS of cops--they all just waved!
I have found that the authorities in Texas are generally a friendly lot,
unless you really NEED an attitude adjustment, in which case you may
likely get it.
As for farm diesel, I paid $0.46/gal for it the last time I bought some
(a couple of months ago). It runs fine in the duece and the tractor. The
tractor never leaves the ranch and the duece occasionally makes a run to
the feed store or the post office--it IS a farm truck.
That being said, the diesel police will sometimes set up on semi-rural
roads (state highways) and test EVERY diesel vehicle that goes by. As
mentioned earlier on the list BIG BIG fines if you get caught.
I live so far out in the sticks that my bi- or tri- monthly run to the
feed store doesn't pose much risk.
Also, in my county you still get tried by a jp or a jury of your PEERS.
EIther way, there's not much chance of getting into much trouble running
farm diesel in my farm truck to go 5 miles to the feed store.
I TExas we call it a no-brainer; in California I'm sure it would be a
heinous crime (anybody remember Alice's Restaurant?).
Mike T.
Red Dye M35A2C