Re: [MV] Insurance underwriters?

jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 14:01:35 -0600 (CST)

>The suggestion about trying to have it classified as being agricultural
>is tricky. I certainly could have made a case for that here (I have a
>decent sized wood lot), but then I wouldn't be able to drive it off my
>property because I would then have to register it with the state as an
>ATV. The definitions of ATV and farm equipment are mutually exclusive.
>It is either one or the other. So I guess I could have got the insurance
>as a piece of farm equipment then register it as an ATV (no insurance
>required, so they wouldn't check). But if I were ever caught, we are
>talking fraud charges here! Not worth it.

I went thru this with the Mule as I am required by our club to have my own
insurance to be able to drive it in a parade as the club policy kicks in
after mine. In the state of Wisconsin, road vehicles are licensed (as we
all know about) for use on the public roads and ATV's are licensed for use
on public lands (not roads). Anything that is not licensable as a road
vehicle and not licensable as an ATV is a tractor. And as such may be
operated on the public roads provided that your speed is under 25mph and you
have one set of wheels on the shoulder, and you display an SMV triangle on
the back. Of course the interstates are a no-no also. In some areas that
have posted ATV trailes the Mule is thus not allowed because it does not
meet the states definition of an ATV. We have one Mule owner in the club
who drives as much as 30 miles (on the road) to get to a parade (and 30
back). He has never been stopped.

As far as the insurance goes, it just gets attached to your homeowners
liability policy (or in my case I put it off onto the businesses policy).

je