Re: Commander in Chief...was: [MV] Here's What I sent

Sean Kelly (sean_k@hotmail.com)
Mon, 01 Mar 1999 20:09:51 PST

>From: Cougarjack@aol.com
>Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 14:50:14 EST
>To: rvanhoo@IBM.net
>Cc: mil-veh@skylee.com
>Subject: Commander in Chief...was: [MV] Here's What I sent
>
>List,
>During one of those panelized TV constitutional debates that PBS is so
well
>known for, it was brought out by several law enforcement types and
judges that
>this notion is false.
>According to their claims, the president only receives that title
after the
>Congress passes a formal war declaration, at which juncture the title
passes
>to him for the duration of the hostilities. Once the war is concluded,
the
>title is rescinded, and again becomes the domain of the Congress .
During
>peacetime, the president may not use the title of Commander In Chief.
My
>understanding of this mechanism is that it was intended to prevent the
>president from commanding the armed forces against the people. Remember
"we
>the people"? I wonder how this question would be addressed by our
>representatives if we asked?
>Regarding the need to communicate our feelings to the White House, I
can
>assure everyone on this list that the White House already knows our
feelings,
>and the deed was done despite them, the intention having been directed
at US.
>After all, here we are, communicating in a medium which was an
original
>construct of the government, and you may be assured that same
government
>still controls most of the large backbone servers, and that every word
we
>speak here is being observed.

Even if not everything we write is being read, I think that we are
working against the stereotype that a person with a fasination of guns
and/or the military is more likely to be dangerous.

I hate to say it, but I think we have to really mind our manners if we
are going to get anything done and prevent more damage to the Bill of
Rights.

Sean