Re: [MV] Suggestions

James Burrill (jburrill@dttus.com)
04 Mar 1999 08:46:00 -0600

Great Idea Jason!!!

In addition to letter writing and calling our congressman, this kind of civic
activity will go a looooong way to winning support for our hobby.

Perhaps the MVPA could add an on-going column to the Supply Line reporting on
the civic actions of the various chapters and affiliated clubs. Now I know they
cover rallies and shows, but I mean something dedicated to good civic action.
This could be used as a jump-start of ideas for other chapters and individuals.
Also, it would build a body of referance information to become press releases or
articles for a pro-MV politician to use to support our cause.

Another aspect might be some guidance to chapters and others on good ways to
promote events to the mainstream media. (Yes, I know some think they are all in
bed with the Devil <g>) But seriously, at a local level, they may be receptive
to doing a story on an unusual MV, or a club's rally or ESPECIALLY if you help
out another "respectable" organization.

And on that point I would sugguest we try to add other activities besides the
VWF, Red Cross or Boy Scouts. Why? these organizations have long been supported
by MV types (and rightly so!) that the public doesn't react. Give Veterans a
ride to see the movie "Saving Private Ryan" and the media won't cover it.

Give a dying 10 year old (who likes to build model tanks and such) a ride in a
Sherman tank, and you have something the national press will print....and likely
favorable to MV owners.

*Get with a local CB group when they do "Coffee Breaks" at interstate rest
stops.
*Get some red cross painted MV ambulances in some malls to help with a blood
drive.
*Go to a classic car clubs resturant hang out and mingle. They may not know what
to do with a Green Thing parked next to their candy red '57 Chevy, but antique
vehicle buffs will soon find something in common to talk about.
*Try to find a Mall that will let you display your vehicles, and if not a "car
shows" worth, maybe two vehicles and a table with a display...you don't even
have to push membership, just to spread the word of our hobby.
*Someone with a DUKW or weasel try to help at a boater safety course.
*Owners with amphibs, volunteer to help at a towns' "bathtub race" water front
activities.
*Use your MVs to help supply ice and water at a runner's marathon. This would be
real good at a big city or even better at a "Cross Country" event.
Do a car crushing event for the local high school.
* Do you still have a county fair where you live? Has your chapter put up a
display there recently (or at all?)

You know, just a list of ideas like this might make a good thread. No comentary,
just a running list. Add in your ideas at the bottom and send it back.

Remember folks, those folks that hate MVs and military things aren't likely to
be swayed by our civic actions, but there is the general public out there that
we CAN favorably impress so they will support our hobby.

Cheers,
Jim Burrill

<SNIP>
Here in Idaho, we are taking a different approach. We as an MV club are
trying to sanction different kinds of events to boost the image of our hobby
to the general public. Every year the boy scouts have an Arbor Day tree
planting day. This year, we are going to try and load boy scouts in the
back of trucks and take them out and help them plant. We also have several
parade activities planned. There are airshows we are going to attend.

Basically, as a national club, we should try and be outgoing in doing a few
things people will really appreciate. Has anyone thought about and "adopt a
highway program"? Taking mv's out and picking up trash along a mile of
freeway would give us a lot of attention.....

Just my $.02

Jason
Pres, ID MVPA