Re: [MV] Generator Repair

Joe Foley (redmenaced@yahoo.com)
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 17:29:22 -0800 (PST)

I'm still confused, I have an MEP-017A 5 Kw gen-set and an MEP-018A 10
Kw set. The 5 Kw set has a 2 cylinder engine and the 10 has a four
cylinder engine. They are Lycoming designed, Hercules produced
engines and correct as per the manual.

Why did the 3 Kw gen-set have such a big engine?

Joe F.

---David_Russo@idx.com wrote:

> Joe
> The MEP-016A, MEP-021A and MEP-026A all use a 4AO-32 four cylinder air
> cooled motor. This is a 32 cu in four cylinder
> air cooled motor, I believe a Continental Design.
> I have two of these motors, one is made by Chrysler Outboard and the
other
> by Continental.
> They both ARE 4 cyl.
> D Russo
>

> Please respond to Joe Foley <redmenaced@yahoo.com>
>
> To: mil-veh
> cc: (bcc: David Russo/CMS/SD/IDX1)
> Subject: Re: [MV] Generator Repair
> Body:
>

> Hey guys,
>
> A 3 Kw gen-set doesn't have a four cylinder engine. The 5 Kw MEP-017A
> has a two cyl engine and the 10 Kw MEP-018A has a four cyl engine.
> Hard to believe that one would need four cylinders for 3 Kw. Better
> check again, I think it maybe a 12 Kw if it has a Continental engine.
>
> Joe F.
>

> ---David Ross wrote:
> >
> > Robert -
> >
> > At 03:11 PM 03/04/99 -0500, Robert Bell wrote:
> > >I'm going to look at an ex-military generator (3KW) with a four
> cylinder
> > >Continental engine that produces both single phase and triple phase
> > >current (according to the owner). The current owner says that it
> needs
> > >some repair in that it is not producing 60 cycles (at least that's
> what
> > >the gauge indicates) and that he hasn't been able to get it set
> > >properly. My questions are: 1) Is setting and maintaining 60
> cycles a
> > >costly procedure? and, 2) what's a fair price for a unit like I've
> > >described?
> >
> > The generator which you describe sounds like the MEP-016A
"MIL-STD"
> > genset. It's engine has a mechanical governor which can be adjusted
> to set
> > the 60 cycle frequency - the adjustment is trivial and the
MEP-016A

<mil-veh-request@skylee.com>.