Re: [MV] Gasoline for Storage

jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 21:48:47 -0600

>I understand that the formulation of gasoline here in the USA changes from
>summer to winter. If one is buying gas to store for occasional year-round
>use (with preservative, of course) is it better to buy one or the other?
>Does it even matter?

I think this is as variable as the reformulation plan is to start with.
Around here (WI) we have it year round. In some places it's summer only, in
which case you are better off buying the winter fuel as it would not have
the MTBE/ETBE or Ethanol in it. I got some ribbing awhile back when I
reported what 2 of the major oil companies told me about RFG, but this came
right from Amoco and Mobil. They say that the tank life on RFG is 3 weeks
and they recommend that it not be used after 6 weeks. But of course the
effects of a stabiliser product on the above is unknown.

je