Re: [MV] UNIMOG STEERING

Joe Foley (redmenaced@yahoo.com)
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 16:18:58 -0800 (PST)

---Steve Malikoff MV list account wrote:

> Andreas said:
> > Gary R. Downing schrieb:
> > > </underline>I usually drive on roads so I have the bad habit of
wrapping
> > > my thumb around the wheel. We are likely to carry those bad
habits into
> > > the boonies. I recommend practicing driving with your thumbs ON
TOP OF
> > > THE STEERING WHEEL EVEN ON GOOD ROAD! DEVELOP GOOD
HABITS=09!!!!!8-)

> > In the driving schools of the German Bundeswehr they teach the
soldiers
> > to keep the thumb on top of the steering wheel, when driving off
road.

> Years ago, the first time I tried crank-starting my '44 GPW, I was
stopped
> by a club member and shown how to correctly keep my thumb on the
outside of
> the crank handle. I'm pretty glad of that, as that donk can really
kick back!
++++++++++++++++++++++++
Steve,

I hope he also told you that the safest way is to ONLY pull on the
crank, as the position of your hand and wrist when pushing or doing a
complete revolution is such that if the engine backfires it will fold
your arm up in a way it wasn't meant to go. If you use a pulling
motion and encounter a backfire the crank will just slip from your
hand and leave you with a sore hand.

And keep your head out of the way!!! Many have been killed by that
one.

Joe F.