Re: [MV] UNIMOG STEERING

Joe Foley (redmenaced@yahoo.com)
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 16:45:40 -0800 (PST)

---"Gary R. Downing" wrote:

> Fellow Moggers SAFETY WARNING! This has been said before on the UNI
net
> but my painful experience should serve as a wake up call. I was
drilling
> through old concrete with a large hammer drill. My grip on the drill
> motor was almost identical to my usual grip on my '63 Mog 404 steering
> wheel. The carbide bit dug into an invisible piece of re-bar. The
drill
> motor came back, taking my thumb with it. IT BROKE MY WRIST IN THREE
> PLACES! It doesn't take a rocket scientist to predict that when off
> road, any large immoveable object in front of your Mog's front wheel
can
> and will spin your steering wheel just like the drill motor did to
me.
> The doctor said I might have arthritis problems for <underline>the
rest
> of my life!
>
> </underline>I usually drive on roads so I have the bad habit of
wrapping
> my thumb around the wheel. We are likely to carry those bad habits
into
> the boonies. I recommend practicing driving with your thumbs ON TOP
OF
> THE STEERING WHEEL EVEN ON GOOD ROAD! DEVELOP GOOD HABITS !!!!!8-)
>

> Feed back graciously accepted.
>

> PS: I learned in the service to respect the charging handle on a
50calBMG
> for the same reason. Palms UP when you grab that handle! Wish I had
> one.:-(
>

> PPS: A first? My wife just called from the bank where she is employed
> and asked if I would fill in today as bank messenger....with my Mog!
Do
> I get a trophy or something for the weirdest use of UNIMOG!!!!8-).
>

> Gary Downing....gwhiz@interoz.com.... Painfully wiser in panhandle
> Florida
Ouch!! That hurts from here!

I've been using hammerdrills for 20 yrs. Haven't had one attack yet.

But my M-135 is another story. I know to keep my thumbs on top of the
wheel but it got me anyway. I didn't pay much attention to it when it
happened because it didn't hurt that much, ended up splitting the
thumb bone next to my wrist lengthwise. Its fine now, no cast or
anything just a pain for three months.

Boy, I hate it when my tools attack!!

Joe F.