Re: [MV] Diesel-Electric 5 Ton

Dave Cole (davidacole@juno.com)
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 20:52:37 -0500

Not exactly as the idea is that the batteries can supplement the
generator to make high amounts of power available for periods of time
when it is necessary. Locomotives use Diesel generators that power the
DC traction motors directly, no batteries are used between the generators
and the traction motors. Most of the new hybrid vehicles are using some
sort of generator/battery storage/electric motor technology. However as
others have mentioned, they are now using rectifier/nverter technology to
make AC multiphase power which can drive much more reliable and efficient
AC electric motors. And of course it is all controlled by computers.
Troubleshooting those trucks will require a lot more than a crescent
wrench!
Dave