Re: [MV] Sage advice? DRMO truck auctions

Steve L Dussetschleger (dussetschleger@juno.com)
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 08:09:52 -0500

**** Probalbly, maybe just batteries and fuel, and a seat cushion

>2. How much can your rely on the Army's assessment of condition?
**** Not always. Varies from site to site. What may be good to one
could be poor to another. One guy told me they never list things better
than poor cause they aren't supposed to be getting rid of good stuff.

>3. How do you value the trucks... any key things to look for? Obvious
>things
>I know like tie rod wear, bushing, drive shaft, radiator fluid, engine
>oil,
>etc. (I'm a hotrod builder, but never worked on big green things or
>multi-fuel engines).
**** Kinda like the pig in a poke. Usually you cant fire them up and
take them for a test drive. Check out the hings you can and look for
some paperwork in or on the truck that may give you a clue.

>4. I was told the average price for these things is about $1500 and
>up, that
>seems like a tremedous bargain...is that correct, just $1500 on
>average?
**** I bought my 4 for about $1300 each. So yes , they can be had
cheap.

>What has been your experience on a reasonable price for a "drive it
>home"
>truck? I am about 900 miles away, so it will be a long ride home,
>albeit
>with a chase vehicle and a tool chest!
***** 900 miles. Man there must be some place closer. But then I drove
to Ga from Mo. I'd think if you found something you like and its fairly
complete, about $1500-$200. But then I've heard good things about a
couple fo the people (tactical trucks,etc) that selll ones for about
$2500-$3000 that have been gone through. Might be your safest shot.
Should be somebody up there who deals in them.

>5. Any brand, like Studebaker-Packard, that I should stay away from?
***** Most all of the stuff coming out of DRMO seems to be fairly new so
it shouldn't have major problems that culdn't be solved. I'd heard about
the old ('50's) stuff with gas motors and auto transmissions were ones to
avoid.

***** Good luck, Steve

>===
>To unsubscribe from the mil-veh mailing list, send
the single word

1953 M38A1 1/4 ton Jeep
1962 M37B1 3/4 ton Truck
1968 M274A5 1/2 ton Utility vehicle "mule"
1968 M109A3 2 1/2 ton Shop Van
1977 M886 5/4 ton Field ambulance