Re: [MV] ModelT

Steven P. Allen (spallen@rolemail.ccis.edu)
Wed, 05 May 1999 18:44:38 -0500

I'm waiting for those SS396 chevelles, myself.

Seriously, the nostalgia model cannot fully explain the demographics of
hobbies, even expensive ones.

Consider, another hobby of mine is trains. I know lots of people who
collect old, 1910s and '20s Standard Gauge electric trains, only a few of
which are old enough to be reliving a childhood. In fact, some are younger
than I am.

Applied to MVs:

How many of you out there have vehicles older than you are or about the same
age?

My one MV--Ok, Ok, it's only a trailer, but it is an MV--is only two years
yonger than I am. The one I want most in the world--a halftrack--is
considerably older.

In sum, I don't think we have to worry about the demographics of age so
mauch as those of ideology. Pretty soon, the attitude that pervades part of
popular culture and most of academia--that anything military is bad--will
prevail. That's our real opposition.

Still, I agreee whole-heartedly that this hobby--that NO hobby--ought to be
considered a monetary "investment." An investment in time and even family
togetherness? Sure! But not money. Save that attitude for stocks.

Steve Allen