Re: [MV] M151-A2 numbers

Julian Burke (julianb@esper.com)
Tue, 18 May 1999 09:09:42 -0400

M151A2's were never given "years". They don't go by years. A2's
>were
> only produced for 6 1/2 years for the US Gov't.
>
> Stamping the date on the ID plate is another manufacturing step that was
not
>called for in the AM General contracts. >>
>
>The two statements above are very interesting. I agree with the second one,
>as many A2s (tho not all) had no date-of-delivery stamped in (later-model
AMG
>M151A2s).
>
>However I would appreciate knowing where the "6 1/2 years production" came
>from. Is it documented anywhere?

M151A2 production started in early 1970 by Ford. Ford only manufactured for
less than 1 year. Am General was determined that they would be in the
"Jeep" business and would "show" everyone that they were, which they did.
AM General started production sometime in late 71 or early 72. Their
contract was signed in mid-71. Production started a little later. A2's
were made until 1977. No more were produced until AM General received a
contract from the Pakastan Government for 1238 units in 1985. This was the
last run in 1985 in the old Studebaker plant where all of the AMG A2's were
produced. The plant building still stands but is privately owned by a
storage company. However, The test track outside the old plant (400 acres
of Indiana wilderness) is used for the training and testing Hummers. I have
some close contacts and friends at the AMG facility and at that time, talked
to everyone I could. There are still employees (most) who assembled the
Jeeps who now assemble Hummers. I learned of the many manufacturing steps.
Since A2's are my speciality, I asked many questions and learned quite a
bit. The Director of Contracts is a personal friend of mine and he found a
few manufacturing pictures of A2's for me. (No more exist there) The date
of manufacturer does NOT exist on ANY AMG manufactured M151A2 and if it
does, somebody else put it there. Every manufacturing step is clearly
outlined in contract protocol and stamping the date was one that was deleted
in the beginning. In 1989, the US Government told AMG that they would not
be ordering any more 151 parts and so AMG scrapped ALL and ANYTHING that was
related to Jeep production to include all parts. What is interesting here
is that the US Government was procuring contracts in 1989 for NEW rear ends
(pumkins) for the 151 series which were made in Belgium and still were the
sorry and noisey gear units that they were. If interested, I can go into
that story later. I hope this helps. If any of you have any particular
questions, I perhaps can ask some of the employees if I don't know it
myself. I will try to find the pictures and put them in my webshell for you
to view. Sincerely, Julian Burke