Re: [MV] Starting a hot mule.

Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 21:49:08 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: jonathon <jemery@execpc.com>
To: mil-veh@skylee.com <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: 06 July 1999 23:40
Subject: Re: [MV] Starting a hot mule.

Hi All,

>> It sounds like the float level in the carb is too high. When the engine is
>>shut off, it goes into what we in the auto repair industry call"hot soak".
>>The engine actually gets hotter before cooling off. At this point the fuel is
>>boiling over in the carb. You'll probably need to fine tune the float
>>adjustment to suit your needs.

It doesn't have to be too high for percolation to take place, Ford CMP's
suffered from new, even the last of the carburated Ford cars did here too.

>Something to look at. I just today talked to a guy who was telling me about
>some old Wisconsin engines they used to run (big ones) and how the only way
>to shut them down and get them started again was to turn off the gas and run
>it out, but then there was some kind of a manifold priming device on those.

If its definitely got a good cranking spark, shutting off the fuel is a good way
of stopping percolation.

>Is it possible that this 'new gas' we have around here is the problem? One
>guy over the weekend told me I should use avgas. Cost isn't an issue with a
>mule as it's pretty economical to operate but would that actually make any
>difference????

Thats possible too, there is absolutely no connection between octane numbers and
volatility, it seems fuel volatility - how easily it vaporises, has been
steadily going up over the years, possibly as a cold start pollution reduction
exercise, the current fuel injected car has no problems. All the old vehicles I
have a hand in and talking to others at the shows, we all seem to be having hot
flooding and first start icing problems, W.W.II and post war MV's, carburated
Land Rovers et al.

AVGAS is generally 100LL, it does not vaporise anything like pump fuel, for the
light aircraft here that are also approved for pump fuel (MOGAS) our CAA require
the fuel to be below 20ºC at take off (vapour lock troubles) and restrict
altitude to 5000ft Max because of potential carb icing.

Richard
(Southampton UK)