Re: [MV] Storage Container Details for Vehicles and Parts

jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 16:51:48 -0500

I understand the intent of your post but I have a few items that I don't
agree with.

> I looked at shipping containers or "CONEX" as they are called. They
>were hard to off- load at destination, and for lack of a crane,

The guy that sells them here delivers them on a large 'roll back' type of
trailer and will put it exactly where you want it.

>... They have NO ventilation,

They do have ventilation, at least 4. Wether that is enough is another
question. Actually since I am in the process of buying one I would like to
know the answer to that question. Several people I have talked to say that
they do not have a condensation problem, in this local area anyway.

>commonly come in 26' and 40' long x 8' wide x 10' tall.

I went to the intermodal terminal here and everything I saw was either 20',
40', or 45' long and either 8' or 9' high in either steel or aluminum with
an occational insulated one for refrigerated use.

>There is rarely access except dual rear doors.

They do come in dual doors on each end but the guy at the terminal did not
recomend them as they are flimsy when doors are open.

Usually 12 gauge steel and heavy as hell, up
>to 9-10,000 lbs for the big ones.

That sounds to high.

C containers are made to take a 65k pound load in the center and be
supported only from the 4 corners either sitting on the bottom corners or
being lifted from the top corners. On the ships the can be stacked as many
as 9 high. No semi trailer will do that. Also I have seen semi trailers
that collapsed in the center when just a few of the roof joists were damaged.

> Price: $2000 range for 26' and up to $4000 for the big ones
>in great shape.

Around here, a brand NEW steel 40'L x 9'H is $3500US, used $2500, and down
to as low as a $300 for a 20' beat up one.

> I looked at regular tractor trailers, and found them similar to
>containers

There does not seem to be any comparison as to strength, the container wins.
But I guess it depends on what your going to do with it and what you have
access to etc...

One thing I know for a fact is that they are not good for burying as in
making your own bunker. I know someone who tried and the sides and roof
bowed in and and the entire box racked on the end such that the doors won't
close. They have tremendious strength when supported from the corners but
they cannot take any type of distributed load on the sides or the roof (as
in dirt).

Your mileage may vary!

je